2 tbsp brandy
1/4 cup currants
1.5 tsp orange zest
1.5 tsp lemon zest
1/4 cup coconut oil, solid, but slightly softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp flax meal and 1.5 tbsp water (flax egg)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground clove
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1 1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp almond meal
1/4 cup chopped blanched almonds
30 blanched almonds for tops of cookies
1 cup powdered sugar and 1-2 tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 350, and line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, combine brandy, currants, lemon, and orange zest. Set aside.
3. Cream coconut oil, brown sugar, for 5 minutes.
4. Add flax egg and continue to mix for 2-3 minutes.
5. In a separate bowl, combine salt through almond meal and add dry mixture to mixer, and blend until just combined.
6. Fold in brandy mixture and chopped almonds.
7. Roll out the dough until 1/2 inch thick. If too sticky, let sit in fridge until easier to roll out and dust with flour. Cut out cookies using a4 inch round cutter. Place on cookie sheet spaced 1 inch apart. Gently push 3 almonds into the cookie in a triangular shape or however you wish. Bake 8-10 minutes until edges just brown.
8. Meanwhile, prepare the glaze. The glaze should be thick like condensed milk, but not too thick to brush over cookies. A minute or so after the cookies come out, while still warm, brush with glaze and let set. Can be stored 2-3 days in container.
Yield: Makes 10