1 large butternut squash, about 5 cups in cubes, 7-10 half moons from the bulbous end
1 tsp garam masala
3 tbsp evoo, separated
Salt and pepper
½ onion, diced
1 clove garlic, chopped finely
1 tsp fresh sage, minced
1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
1 cup swiss chard, roughly chopped
13.5 oz (1 can) full fat coconut milk
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp dijon mustard
½ cup apple cider
5 cups day old ciabatta or crusty bread cut into large 1 inch cubes
3 tbsp chopped toasted hazelnuts
1 tbsp vegan parmesan (¼ cup cashews, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, ¼ tsp salt, ½ tsp garlic powder blitzed in food processor) or store bought
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix 2 tbsp evoo, squash, garam masala, season with salt and pepper. Place on rimmed sheet pan and roast for 40 minutes until soft and golden.
2. Meanwhile, sauté 1 tbsp of evoo, onion and garlic for 5 minutes until soft, season with salt and pepper, add herbs and chard. Continue to cook until chard is wilted about 3-5 minutes.
3. Prepare liquids by mixing coconut milk, dijon, paprika, and cider.
4. In a large bowl, place bread and pour in liquid mixture. Add onion mixture and let soak for 10-15 minutes.
5. To the bowl, add the cooked squash, except the half moons, and combine. Pour into 8 inch cast iron skillet. Top with half moons of squash in a spiral pattern on top. Sprinkle hazelnuts and vegan parm.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes until edges are brown and slightly crispy.
Yield: 1-8 inch skillet serves 6-8